Select Page

Border Crossing

Crossing the border between Canada and Alaska by road is usually simple although there are some requirements to be aware of. Wait times at border crossings are generally short or even non-existent. In addition to providing travel documents, you may be asked about your travel plans and what you are bringing into the country, particularly fruits, meat and other plant and animal products, alcohol and firearms. Be prepared with your identification ready. It’s a good idea to know what you can and can’t bring across the border, and what you need to declare. Here are some useful links:

Traveling to Canada from the U.S.

Canada Border Services Agency

Identification Requirements for U.S. Citizens Traveling to Canada

Restricted and Prohibited Goods

List of Food Products Allowed into Canada from the U.S. (You must declare all all food items and any animals, animal products, plants or plant products)

Traveling with Pets

Personal Exemptions

Traveling to the U.S. from Canada

United States Customs and Border Protection
(202) 325-8000

Know Before You Go (video)

Helpful Links for U.S. Citizens Returning to the U.S.

Bringing Food into the U.S.

If you are traveling with your pet, you must bring Proof of Rabies vaccinations for a dog. This is recommended but not required for cats.

Personal Exemptions All articles acquired in Canada must be declared. There is an $800 exemption for gifts and personal articles, including one liter of alcoholic beverages per person over 21 every 30 days.

CBP officers can inspect you and your belongings without a warrant. This may include your luggage, vehicle, and personal searches.

Customs Stations

British Columbia, Canada

Klondike Highway #2
Fraser, British Columbia
(867) 821-4111
Year-round: 8 am – midnight (Yukon time)

Haines Highway #3
Pleasant Camp, B.C.
(907) 767-5540
Year-round: 8 am – midnight (Yukon time)

Southeast Alaska

Klondike Highway #2
Skagway, Alaska
(907) 983-2325
Year-round: 7 am – 11 pm (Alaska time)

Haines Highway #3
Dalton Cache, Alaska
(907) 767-5511
Year-round: 7 am – 11 pm (Alaska time)


Alaska Highway #1
Beaver Creek, Yukon
(204) 983-3500
Year-round, 24 hours

Top of the World Highway #9
Little Gold Creek, Yukon
May – Sept: 9:00 am – 9:00 pm (Yukon time)

Interior Alaska

Alaska Highway #2
Alcan, AK
(907) 774-2252
Year-round, 24 hours

Top of the World Highway #9
Poker Creek, Alaska
May – Sept: 8:00 am – 8:00 pm (Alaska Time)