Select Page

Border Crossing

Crossing the border between Canada and Alaska by road is usually simple although there are some requirements to be aware of. Wait times at border crossings are generally short or even non-existent. In addition to providing travel documents, you may be asked about your travel plans and what you are bringing into the country, particularly fruits, meat and other plant and animal products, alcohol and firearms. Be prepared with your identification ready. It’s a good idea to know what you can and can’t bring across the border, and what you need to declare. Here are some useful links:

Traveling to Canada from the U.S.

Canada Border Services Agency
1-800-461-9999 •

Identification Requirements for U.S. Citizens Traveling to Canada

Restricted and Prohibited Goods

List of Food Products Allowed into Canada from the U.S. (You must declare all all food items and any animals, animal products, plants or plant products)

Traveling with Pets

Personal Exemptions

Traveling to the U.S. from Canada

United States Customs and Border Protection
(202) 325-8000 •

Know Before You Go (video)

Helpful Links for U.S. Citizens Returning to the U.S.

Bringing Food into the U.S.

If you are traveling with your pet, you must bring Proof of Rabies vaccinations for a dog. This is recommended but not required for cats.

Personal Exemptions All articles acquired in Canada must be declared. There is an $800 exemption for gifts and personal articles, including one liter of alcoholic beverages per person over 21 every 30 days.

CBP officers can inspect you and your belongings without a warrant. This may include your luggage, vehicle, and personal searches.

Customs Stations

British Columbia, Canada

Klondike Highway #2
Fraser, British Columbia • (867) 821-4111
Year-round: 8 am – midnight (Yukon time)

Haines Highway #3
Pleasant Camp, B.C. • (907) 767-5540
Year-round: 8 am – midnight (Yukon time)

Southeast Alaska

Klondike Highway #2
Skagway, Alaska • (907) 983-2325
Year-round: 7 am – 11 pm (Alaska time)

Haines Highway #3
Dalton Cache, Alaska • (907) 767-5511
Year-round: 7 am – 11 pm (Alaska time)


Alaska Highway #1
Beaver Creek, Yukon • (204) 983-3500
Year-round, 24 hours

Top of the World Highway #9
Little Gold Creek, Yukon
May – Sept: 9:00 am – 9:00 pm (Yukon time)

Interior Alaska

Alaska Highway #2
Alcan, AK • (907) 774-2252
Year-round, 24 hours

Top of the World Highway #9
Poker Creek, Alaska
May – Sept: 8:00 am – 8:00 pm (Alaska Time)


  1. Please advise me what date the “Top of the world highway” closes for winter usually. Thanks.

    • The highway is open during May – September (for exact dates call the information centre in Dawson City at (867) 993-5566)

  2. I want to bring my grandchildren, do they need passports? Will birth certificates work?

    • You will need their passports and also a permission letter from their legal guardians. In the letter you’ll want to include details like how long the trip is and when you will be back.

  3. Travelling to Alaska from Canada in my RV, what meats am I allowed to bring?

  4. Canadian citizens traveling from Yukon to Alaska resrictions: can I bring fresh eggs, frozen fresh meat, fresh fruit, or vegetables? Next canned or dehydrated foods such as canned fish, dry pasta, dry cereal, packaged potatoes chips, roasted nuts? What quantity of wine, beer or spirits? Cigarettes?
    Tools: can I bring axe, chain saw.
    Weapons there will be no fire arms. What about bear spray?
    Documents will be passports. BC identification. Proof of extended medical.
    Pharmaceuticals I would bring are prescription or over the counter aspirin, Tylenol, anititch, Benadryl, antacids, diarrhoea med, antibacterial ointment.

  5. I am looking to travel from Washington state back home to Alaska and driving in Jan. Would the road from Canada to Alaska be closed?

  6. The Alaska Highway Canada/US border is open year-round. Safe travels!

  7. good morning, we are 2 Italian tourists. Next November 9 we would like to go from Whitehourse to haines for the eagles festival. Is it possible to cross the border with a rental car at Whitehourse? On November 14 we should return from Haines to Whitehourse. Please help me to know if it will be possible? Thank you so much and greetings from Italy. Bruno

    • Yes, you can cross the border with your rental vehicle into Alaska.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© PR Services Ltd. | Publishing & Distribution since 1983